November 29, 2008

My Free Agent Pics

Here are my pics as to where I think this years top free agents will land:

SP C.C. Sabathia-New York Yankees

Despite the rumors going around about the Angels possibly leading the chase for the ace left-hander, I still think he'll be putting on the pinstripes come next Spring. This is because I think that the Yankees feel like they need him too badly. They know that they can't offer the West Coast, but can offer bigger $$$ and a brand-new stadium for him to throw the first pitch in. 

SP A.J. Burnett-New York Yankees

I think A.J.'s also gonna wind up in the Bronx. The Yanks are prepared to offer him the most money out of all the teams bidding for him. Also, all the rumors about it being all about the 5th year being key for him, I don't buy. I think that it's just a scam set up brilliantly by his agent to get teams to offer him more money. However, I still think he wants the 5th year, it's just doesn't all depend on that.

SP Derek Lowe-Boston Red Sox

Lowe's interesting. He's a Scott Boras client, but unlike most Boras clients, he knows where he wants to play and he's willing to take less to go there. That place: Boston. He loved his time there and wishes to return. The Red Sox have a spot open in their rotation and they would welcome him back with open arms. However, many of the big market teams (and some small ones two) would love to change that as he is desired by most of the non-Sabathia teams. And the Yankees (of course).

1B Mark Teixera-Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (worst name EVER)

We all know the Angel's preference for how to sign free agents: short and quick. We've seen it many times with the most recent one being Tori Hunter in 2007. However, if they want Teixera they're gonna have to change that. Tex is the ideal Scott Boras client and is going to wait and let the market develop. There has been much speculation that the Angels will go after C.C. instead, but, as I've said before, I don't buy it. I think it's just a trick to get Teixera to lower his demands.


No comments: