August 21, 2009

Yanks Should Sign El Duque

I know I already have proposed this idea before, but I still believe that the Yankees should sign Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez. Despite getting released by the Texas Rangers earlier this year because he "didn't show enough velocity or command," I believe he could still pitch in the big leagues. It seems to me that he could benefit from a Bronx return like many players have in the past.

However, the bottom line is this: the Yankees could use another starter, El Duque's a free agent, and he's a proven winner. He pitches extremely well in the postseason which the Yankees could use if he proves effective over the regular season. In his career, El Duque is 9-3 with a 2.55 ERA and 107 strikeouts in 106.0 innings. The Yankees could use him as their 4th starter and put Joba in the 'pen with Phil Hughes (an idea I've already pitched before). If you do that, you don't have to limit Joba's innings as much in the regular season.

No comments: